Friday, December 18, 2009

A new life

Last week was an...interesting experience. I am still processing quite a bit of what happened, so I won't go into too many details, but I want to tell you all about it.
One of my best friends had a baby. And I helped.
Liz and I have been friends since junior high, and I was maid of honor in her wedding. Since before she got pregnant she said she wanted me at the birth of her babies. I kind of laughed it off, and was a little surprised when she did get pregnant that she actually wanted me to be there, in the room, helping to coach her. I got a call on Tuesday that she was going to be induced that night, and that I should get in the car and drive up (Liz and her husband live in Madison, WI). I frantically packed up and drove ahead of a blizzard to get there by evening. When I got to the hospital, I was shaking with nervousness and excitement. It didn't last long. We were sent home. There was a communication error between Liz's doctor and the hospital nurses, and they didn't want to induce her, so they sent us home. Good thing too because the snow was starting to pick up. We went out to a nice dinner, and there was about 7 inches on the ground by the time we got to the house. Shortly after, Liz's mom and in-laws arrived. Then it snowed some more. In total, we got 18 inches of snow. It was A LOT.
So much in fact that we spent most of the next day shoveling. I do not like winter.
Thursday we went to a doctor's appointment where we were told that everything looked fantastic. They wanted to run one more test, and if everything looked good, they were willing to let nature take it's course. We packed up, I called and told Dad I was heading home, and went for the test. Which we did not pass. So it was off to the hospital to be induced!
Without going into the gory details, it was 18 hours of very hard labor, and not any sleep for this nurse or her friends. Liz's mom, husband, and I took turns being there for her as she went through labor. Finally, at 11:47 in the morning on Friday, December 11th, Belle Kristin McCartney made her entrance. She weighed 6 lbs, 13 ounces, and was 20 inches long.
She's perfect. I have never felt more love for such a tiny person! Aunt Katie is going to have to pace herself with the baby presents! I keep seeing tiny, adorable baby things that I just HAVE to get for little Belle! And I was blown away by my friend's strength and courage as she gave birth to her daughter. I have friends who have kids! I'm old!
Personally, it was way harder than I expected. Knowing what I know, with the experiences I've had since working in OB, it was torturous! Watching my dear friend in pain, and knowing there was nothing I could do was awful! Thankfully I can truly say that Liz's medical team was fantastic! There wasn't a single moment where I thought "why are they doing that" or "I wouldn't do it that way". It is hard to be a medical professional in a medical setting, not as the employee. I find myself hyper-critical, and the ladies and gentleman at St. Mary's more that exceeded my expectations!
Now, one week later, mom and baby are both doing well, although I miss them terribly! Coming back to working in Urbana was made a little easier by the return of my favorite person, my little sis, to the USA. There is a lot to be thankful for this Holiday Season.
She's Happy too. Really.

1 comment: