Sunday, February 14, 2010

Bad A_ _ Nursery Nurse

Happy Valentines Day!!! So this weekend (both days) I was the nursery nurse. As it would turn out, after that first crazy time, I'm pretty great at being the nursery nurse. And I love it! Yesterday I had a health care tech AND 3 nursing students in the morning to help with task-y stuff, like transporting babies to and from their rooms and giving baths, which was really helpful. It gave me time to admit the new babies and assist the MD with circumcisions. Plus, it's fun to teach the students what I know! Today was a little slower, but I didn't have any help, so I kept pretty busy. I got stuff done without feeling out of control and got extra things done for my co-workers too! And I get some nice compliments from them for it! One of my co-nurses said "Katie, man, you are a bad A_ _ nursery nurse!" One of the pediatricians asked me if I loved what I do, I said yes, and he said "I can tell. Don't ever lose that." And tonight when I was reporting off to the night nurse, she said "You are really good at giving report...and actually, I'm just impressed by you, you seem like you've been doing this for 30 years!". Can't hear that enough! It's really great to be respected as a peer now, and not just one of the "new girls". I'll sleep well tonight. There's something to be said for having a job where you get to cuddle babies. My soul feels happy!

1 comment:

  1. Katie:

    #1 can I volunteer to hold and comfort babies (under your supervision of course).

    #2 in the interest of full disclosure you should tell every boy you date, BEFORE the date, you like to do circumcisions

    daddio

    ReplyDelete