I discharged a patient yesterday morning, and stood at the nurses station as she was headed out. Her mom walked ahead of her, holding the car seat base and a couple clear plastic bags with personal items, the patient was pushed in a wheelchair with the baby in the car seat on her lap, and another transporter pushed a cart with the rest of her stuff behind her. We all smiled and waved when they left. About 20 minutes later, our housekeeper Anita came out of the patient's room pushing the lower part of one of our hospital cribs. They sort of look like this:
Except the one Anita was pushing was missing the top part- no plastic bucket, no mattress, no blankets covering the mattress--all of it--GONE! We went back in the room and searched high and low- in the cabinets, in the shower-it was not there! The patient took it, that much was clear, but I don't know HOW! We were all watching them leave, that bassinet is HUGE, where could they have put it?! We didn't see any giant duffel bags! I called the patient, and her cell phone was disconnected. So I called her house phone. Someone answered, then hung up. Hmm. Meanwhile, crazy news travels fast, so my coworkers from other units were coming up to see the mysterious "topless crib"! My boss even walked over to see it, and said, "well Katie, don't be wondering where your next paycheck is" (with a giant smile on her face). So next I called the transport team and asked if perhaps they remembered helping a patient load Carle property into her car? His response? "Yeah we did, can they not take those?" WHAT??? Of course they can't-- would you help them load a couch into their truck too? So then I wrote an incident report, and tried calling the patient again. This time she answers. Her: "yeah?" Me:"Hi ___, this is Katie, your nurse from Carle, about that crib and matress and any blankets you may have taken, you can't have those, those are Carle property and keeping them is theft." Her: "Oh, yeah, I wondered about that...ok, well my mom's coming back to Champaign now, I'll just have her bring it back." Me: "Ok, great. Thanks". And sure enough, about an hour later, it got dropped off at the front desk.I mean WHO DOES THAT?!?!?!?!?!?
In other news, it's FINALLY spring on Oregon Street, and man am I happy! These little babies popped up out front today- Yay!

Katie,
ReplyDeleteThe many roles of a nurse; now they got you as Carle Security!
daddio