Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I'm a genius. A tired genius.

Well, after much harassment from the parental units, the general consensus is that if I'm gonna have a blog, I need to write more often- so here goes, but it's hard! Man am I tired! I am still having a rough time adjusting to working life. The alarm goes off WAY too early, and when I get home, I'm beat! And that's just been 8-5! Tomorrow I have my first 7-7:30, so that might be rough! Last week was spent mostly in various forms of orientation class-much of which I have sat through before. I also spent a few hours a day on the units, which were pretty great. My department, "OB Services" is made up of Labor & Delivery, Post-Partum, Newborn Nursery, and Antepartum. They are split between the 10th and 11th floors, which makes for some back and forth, but really good views (as far as central Illinois scenery goes). My favorite day thus far has been in the nursery (duh). I got to take some first pictures, give first baths, and help with a circumcision(yikes!). The past two days were spent in Fetal Monitor training. Turns out I'm pretty great at fetal monitoring, and I got a perfect score on the certifying exam this afternoon! This was only really surprising because apparently I had some bad shrimp at lunch and kept having to excuse myself from the class during the afternoon...yuck!
And no, I didn't break six thousand laws by photographing a patient- don't worry, I just stole this off Google to give an example of the awesome sort of things I get to do at work! Yay!
The house is fine, I still think it's adorable. Tonight though, when the folks were here for dinner, I kept smelling a strange odor...like...pee...large smelly quantities. We all sniffed around, but were unable to locate the origin. Luckily, I purchased a pretty fancy alternating scents hot oil diffuser (read: air freshener), so I think the mysterious pee smell is gone-or at least masked by the stench of "morning walk and cleansing rain". Anywho, assuming I survive my first 12 tomorrow, I will be sure to fill you in! I got my first (emailed) pay stub today, for last week only, and I laughed out loud at how much it was! Working is pretty SWEET!

1 comment: