
So Thursday was my first twelve hour shift, and apparently I had blocked out my memories of 12s from the internship last summer, because I didn't really realize what I was getting myself into! I suppose the other difference is that I'm not a student, or and intern --I'm the nurse! I can't say "Let me go check with your nurse" anymore! Luckily for a couple months I still have a preceptor that I'm supposed to check in with, so I'm not totally on my own! Thursday, I was scheduled to be on post-partum, and between my preceptor and I, we had five patients, and during the day we ended up admitting two others. Earlier in the week there were maybe 3 patients at a time down in Labor and Delivery, and 5 or six up on PP (Post Partum). Well Thursday, every room was full (that's like 26-30 rooms on each floor)! It was crazy! I guess it was a good way to start though- jumping right in! Because of all the crazyness, I got to do a lot of stuff on my own-assessments, teachings, giving meds, putting on monitors, talking to doctors...it felt pretty nurse-y! The biggest event of the day (no pun intended) was the birth of a ELEVEN POUND- EIGHT OUNCE baby! That's almost 12 pounds--the old fashion way--no ce-section! We were all very impressed! When I got home, I pretty much passed out. And then I slept for 11 hours straight. And now I have a three day weekend to enjoy- back to work on Monday!

No comments:
Post a Comment