
So this week I felt more and more like a nurse. Yesterday and today I was in Labor and Delivery...and boy have I learned a lot! Like I learned that if a mom says "I need to get my pants off and lay down, the baby is coming" he is coming, and no, he will not wait for the doctor (or any experienced individuals) to come into the room, so when you put your hand out--expect that you will be holding a tiny head as it enters the world! (three times this happened in 2 days-once to me!) See the people in the picture and how they are all nice and gowned and masked? Yeah, me, not so much...I also learned that when I call a doctor, and tell them that I need an order for such-and-such, they just trust me, because I'M THE NURSE! And I learned that babies hear you talking, and if you are trying to find them (in utero) to put them on the fetal monitor, they will continuously run away, making you feel stupid--"outsmarted again, by a fetus!" And I learned that if the attending says "watch out, that bag is about to burst" you should step to the side or else you will get a face (and neck) full of amniotic fluid. (Luckily it was a resident, not me that learned that leason the hard way). I also learned that fifteen year olds are too young (duh) to be having babies, and they cannot handle the pain (You'd think someone was killing the poor thing, and then when she's checked, she's at 2 centimeters--that's 8 to go honey!). I learned that long after I go home at night, I will continue to hallucinate the "ding, ding, ding" sound of the fetal monitor alarms. Also, I learned that I have A LOT to learn! One (of many many) questions I have is "when you are checking a cervix for dilation...where do you look? I mean where are your eyes suppossed to go when your fingers are doing the splits inside some lady's who-ha? (sorry too much info?)...but it's AKWARD!
Anyway, the miracle of life still amazes me- every time I think- "un uh, there is no way that big huge thing is gonna fit through that tiny little opening" and then it does. AMAZING! And I cry. Every time. Not as much as the babies though, so I think I'm doing just fine.

Katie dear, you make me laugh.
ReplyDeleteKatie, this brought tears to my eyes! This new baby stuff certainly has emotional highs and lows. All you talk about is so familiar since spending time with my Lilly and her family in the OB ward! You will be such a blessing to new babies and their families!!
ReplyDelete