Sunday, January 17, 2010

Oh BABY

Today was my first day alone in the nursery. Apparently (according to my co-workers), I just get initiation by FIRE on my first days. We had 5-- 5 new babies (all girls by the way) by 8am- including a c-section set of twins. 3 of the five needed labs drawn (meaning we had to poke them and draw blood) which must be done in the first hour of life (and sent to the lab before the blood clots). There were 3 circumcisions (which get done when the pediatrician is there from 7-10) that I needed to assist with. And I was supposed to do ALL of this BY. MYSELF. I tried my best not to panic, but I was very sweaty and about *this* close to having a stroke! Luckily when someone brought up a new baby they saw what I was dealing with, she went back told the charge nurse, and two minutes later she called the nursery. I think my answer went something like this "hinurserythisiskatiehowcanIhelpyou?!?" She said "Katie-take a deep breath. Now blow it out. I'm sending Melissa to help out. You're in charge. You can do this." So once I had some help, things went much more smoothly. Luckily, the doctor on call that day never shows up before 8:30 and 9 so he was not in a hurry to do the circumcisions, so we had time to get things under control before those started. Everyone was very nice, helpful, and encouraging, and by 11 am I felt back in control of the nursery. The rest of the day was a piece of cake. We didn't have any new babies and I had time to get some of the task stuff done.
I really am grateful for these crazy busy stressful days. I learn more in those few hours than I do in weeks of easy days. And then when the next crazy day comes, I can think "hey, remember how bad that first day was? This is way better than that!"
All I know is, I'm gonna sleep really really well tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Katie,

    I truly admire you for your work ; bringing new life into this world ;insuring that they live;loving them , holding them, caring for them. What better service to society than the protection and nurture of our young. You make me proud.

    jt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    I so enjoyed hearing of this first day, and how much you learn through the "hell" days. The photos you attach are great!
    Ruth G.

    ReplyDelete