Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ok, So I'm a Rock Star

Well, I'm sure you'll be glad to know that I am in my chosen profession for a reason after all, and that reason is: I'm AWESOME at it! It helped a lot that the 11 c-sections that happened on Wednesday all went home on Saturday. And I guess lot of the people that had delivered earlier in the week went home too, because the whole unit was calmer by Friday (the next time I worked). Friday I only had 4 patients, and I got to actually provide CARE, and be helpful to my coworkers, and get everything done, and not get yelled at by anyone. I left feeling pretty great. Saturday was even slower. By the end of the day, I only had 2 patients! It was a little silly really, we were all so bored, we cleaned the whole nurses station. I must have done some good nursing though, because I got a positive comment card (which comes with a gift card for a free coffee!) from one of my patients. The other couple I had on Saturday totally had "New Parent Syndrome", where they were really really excited to be parents, and really really freaked out! It always amuses me to see someone spaz about changing a diaper. They were also just nice people (I kind of wanted to be friends with them after they went home!)
Yesterday was another slow day, but good overall. I got to bond a bit with coworkers, and get to know my patients (which is always a plus).
Today I go flexed down. "Flexed Down" is what they call it when they call you and tell you not to come in because there aren't enough patients to justify your presence. While a day off may seem nice, this is actually annoying for two reasons:
1- No work=no Pay (we are hourly employees)
2- You are only flexed down for 4 hours at a time, so you have to remain "on call" for the rest of the day, wondering if you'll have to go in at some point.
The other reason today was annoying was that I didn't know I was flexed down until I got TO work and didn't see my name on the assignment board. They are only required to call you one hour in advance, and by then my phone was back on silent because I was headed to work...so I didn't get the message, and left Carle 10 minutes after parking my car, pretty annoyed. The good news is, the neighbor's dogs were quiet for once and let me take a 2 hour nap once I got back home. I did get to clean up a bit around the house, and discover that when my frozen kitchen pipes unfroze last week they must have had a crack, because when I did dishes today water started pouring out from under the sink. Oh this house!
I am on call all day tomorrow, but we'll see if I go in or not! This could be a LONG week...

1 comment:

  1. Katie,

    since you are hourly do they guarantee you a specific number of hours per week?

    daddio

    ReplyDelete