Saturday, May 29, 2010

She's a Night Owl...sort of...

Hi all, sorry for my hiatus! Unfortunately, I am writing to inform you of a possibly longer hiatus to come.
This past week I was switched to the night shift. This was not a surprise, but something I had not-so-secretly hoped I could just avoid. There was a group of about 7-8 of us that were all hired at the same time. We were all hired to work the night shift. But then, the week we started, they realized that if we all went to nights right off of orientation, then there wouldn't be anyone with actual experience working those shifts, and one of us would have to be in charge. Uh, no thanks! So they moved people more gradually, and I was lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it) to get over 6 months on the day shift. But now it's time for me to move to nights. And so far it's pretty terrible. The work is still fabulous (although slightly more boring when all your patients are sleeping). It's the whole sleeping-during-the-hot-hot-day/always feeling like a zombie part that sucks. Remember all nighters in college, or sleepovers with your friends where you stayed up all night giggling and forgot to go to sleep? And remember how you felt the next day? Yeah. Try a week of that feeling straight. Yuck. And we recieved an email yesterday that informed us that the manager of OB Services (my department) is no longer employed at Carle. So I'm not sure what that will mean. Except that it will make for another potentially difficult transition period.
I am also grieving the loss of one of my very dear friends, Kimmy-Sue, as she too leaves C-U for greener pastures. It'll be pretty lonely around here until Em and I move in together in July. I've been listening to a lot of Foo Fighters and Rage Against the Machine (for those of you not in the know, that's code for ANGRY music)

So anyway, until I stop feeling like a crabby zombie, I'm going to avoid writing depressing posts. Hopefully, it will be sooner than I expect. Think happy thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. that baby child is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy thoughts to you!! (i'm back from my mountain adventures so call when ever you want!

    ReplyDelete