Lately, I've been feeling a bit...lost. I feel like I need to figure out something to do with my life outside the walls of Carle Hospital.
I still LOVE LOVE LOVE my job. I am doing what I am made to do, what I'm meant to do, and my job has purpose. But when I leave work, it's like I'm just treading water until I get back to work again.
And the last week has me feeling pretty burnt out about work. Friday we had 13 deliveries. Add the two antepartums we admitted, and that's 15 new patients in one day. On top of the ~7-8 other patients. With three nurses. It was a really hard day. And Yesterday was more of the same. Except I was in the nursery instead of on the floor. And this week I have to work three days in a row so I can have the weekend off to travel to Missouri to see my little sister graduate from college (!!!) One exciting note about work- on Friday the nurse educator on our unit pulled me aside and asked if I would feel comfortable being a preceptor for the new nurses in the nursery. What this means basically, is that they want me to train the new nurses on how to be a nursery nurse. She said it kind of breaks a lot of rules to have someone so new teaching (acting as an expert in the field), but she already asked hospital education and the powers that be in our department, and they've all cleared it! It is a huge honor to be asked, and also means a bonus check for every new nurse that I precept! YAY!!! But ANYWAY...
So I need to find something outside of work that gives my life some purpose. Something the can rejuvenate me on my days off but also be more purposeful than sitting around on my beautiful couch and watching television non-stop. So I need an activity or hobby or something to entertain me. Any ideas?
Oh, P.S. My mom is always saying "you need a hobby!" Which I just admitted is true, however, I don't really "do" hobbies. 1-I don't have enough of an attention span to do something enough times that I could be good at it. And if I'm not good at it, then I have no motivation to keep doing it, so then I quit after one go. 2-(probably because of 1), they're expensive. Crafting supplies are surprisingly pricey! So I'm not sure what this really leaves me with. Bah Humbug!
To end on a happy note: This commercial has made me smile every time I've seen it in the last few days. Life should be full of more dance parties!

What about some sort of mentor or volunteer thing? They are always looking for mentors at the middle school for example, and as much as you think middle schoolers are crazy, I think you might like them one-on-one. And I know they'd think you were pretty cool.
ReplyDeleteOf course that wouldn't really start up again until fall....but it's a thought. In the meantime, what about doing some work with Habitat, or crisis nursery, or something useful like that....
Or coming to clean my house for me...
Katie,
ReplyDeleteI like the photo. One of my clients has a new baby she brings into the office. Her name is Chloe and she is precious.
AS to diversions, I am at a loss; how about a book club?
How about camping in the widerness( as opposed to tent camping at a state park in the commons area). I belong to a hiking camping group which is pretty neat . Let me know.
JT